2011-09-21

Flower Shop Series #1 #2 # 3 and #4

My new GREEN PURSE Series   ..... Four here today and more on the way
Am listing these out of order because I am not very fond of #1.

Flower Shop #4    11x10  watercolor, mixed media


For some time I have been feeling that I want to use more line. The use of line takes the composition decidedly away from ‘real’ and makes it more painterly. Line is great contrast to the smooth watercolor wash. I like this best so far. More to come.

My new GREEN PURSE Series is based on a photo taken while a friend and I were at a nursery shopping for Asiatic Lilies and whatever other perennials we could find. The heron is inspired from ‘yard art’ a long time resident of my garden. This is the second series from this gardening establishment about an hour’s drive north along the Mississippi River. The first series was a study with the buildings and pots dominating the composition and a smaller image of my sister ready to buy an iris.


I like this subject- people I love; flowers and pots (which are excuses for warm color and soft washes) I have in abundance around our home; buildings ( make excuse for straight lines). I fill the page with shapes, touching the edges of the paper-large and small.






Flower Shop #1    watercolor, mixed media   11x10

This is #1- Just a planning sketch to see what to do. I thought the leaves on top were too cluttered so I eliminated them in the next studies. I do not like it much

 

Flower Shop #2    watercolor, gauche, mixed media  11x10


Traditional watercolor method. I like the freshness. The composition is better.



Flower Shop #3      watercolor, mixed media  11x10

Gouache is much too difficult for this old watercolorist. I have been studying Donna Zagota and thought I would try the opaque watercolor. But I think I will leave it to her-whose work is fantastic, creative, and fun.








No comments: