2013-03-11

Earth Tree Sky


Earth Tree Sky       12x16 each              16x 36 all three


I wanted to move to a more recognizable abstract. Trees and nature are a heart-felt topic for me flowing out of a lifelong habit of woods-walking.

The work began with deep green, chosen because I do not frequently use it. Then again, colors selected with the idea of quad-complements, as explained in previous entry.

I chose medium to large size shapes - repeated with variations, attempting to have some flow from one to the next. Then I used any combination of colors to paint both positive and negative tree shapes. The Great Blue Herons completed the effort.



This abstract acrylic triptych is a new venture for me. The colors are more subdued than usual for me. I was not sure I like the results. However, it has grown on me and now am satisfied….seems peaceful.

What do you think?

Individual paintings displayed below.











3 comments:

Ruth Armitage said...

Hi Ellen,
I really love what you're doing with these. Your use of shapes and space as pattern are luscious and interesting. The color palette feels very 'woodsy', even if it is not as vivid as your other work.

Ellen Roles said...

Thanks Ruth. And I looked at your work. Love your
Down on the Farm series. . . Great design and color

Ellen Roles said...

Thanks Ruth. And I looked at your work. Love your
Down on the Farm series. . . Great design and color