2014-09-12

Distinctively Autumn



Distinctively Autumn   36x54x1.5  acrylic    
six canvas panels each 18x18x1.5

This project is in response to a challenge to create a work to harmonize with the rug of the client (actually friends).  The biggest issue was colors that are not “my” colors.  I kept making them brighter, and then had to tone it down.  Real oak leaves gathered last fall from the park across the street and dried grasses from the marsh were integrated.  I cut stencils of tree and leaf shapes.  There is some tissue collage.

The appreciation of the out-of-doors…meaning trees ,leaves, plants, waterfowl, fresh air, sunshine, rain clouds, weather and being “outside” has been a constant in my life…reminiscent of life on the farm and many walks in the woods in my childhood and youth.  So these show up in my artwork more readily than cityscapes.

  I started this piece in the Spring, finished at the end of August.  It was put away twice…discouraged. It was brought out again and was worked layer upon layer, adjusting color, shapes and subject matter. Now, finally, I like it.  What do you think?


Images of individual panels below.
 
upper left
 upper middle
 
 upper right

 lower right
 



 lower middle
 
 
lower left
.

 

 
 

No comments: